Tips for Freezing Weather
Monday 9th December 2013
When temperatures drop below freezing, staying warm and safe can be a challenge. When dealing with really cold weather, there are some safety tips that you need to consider. When you know cold weather is coming it is best to make a list of all the things that need to be prepared for and what to be careful with.
You should make sure you have a good supply of food on hand. That should include foods that will not spoil quickly without refrigeration. Avoid foods like meat, milk, or pre-cooked dishes which will spoil within a few days once your refrigerator warms up. You might consider getting a extra cooler so you can place it outdoors to store food in incase the power goes out and it is cold outside.
Be aware that ice, snow, and high winds can cause power lines to break. When you see this type of weather coming, check to make sure that you have everything ready. Things to check include, stored water that is kept indoors when its freezing outside, remove water hoses from hose bibs and cover them with insulated hose bib covers, keep cell phones and flashlights charged, along with any other electronic devices you may want to use. Be sure to keep a trickle of water running in your home so the water pipes don’t freeze and crack.
You should never use a charcoal or gas grill indoors because the fumes are deadly. Don't run an electric generator indoors, inside a garage, or near the air intake of your home because of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning from the exhaust fumes. Don't store gasoline or diesel indoors as the fumes are not healthy and could ignite if something nearby sparks.
Use battery-powered flashlights or lanterns rather than candles or fuel powered lanterns. Burning candles should not be left unattended as they can cause a fire. If you are going to have something burning in your house, be sure to have some ventilation. It is also best to get outside and get some fresh air to breathe at least once a day to help stay healthy. If it has been cold for a while, be sure to ventilate your dwelling with lots of fresh air every couple of days depending on the size of your home. Oxygen needs to be replaced and the air becomes polluted with toxins from breathing and flames.